Do you want to make a difference protecting and restoring the abundance of the oceans? Oceana in Belize is currently seeking to fill its Communications Specialist vacant position. Come join a dedicated team of professionals who are working to protect marine wildlife while also enhancing the capacity of the oceans to feed a growing world population. Ocean conservation is not only a plan to save ecosystems but also to save the livelihoods of fishers, their families, and their communities.
Founded in 2001, Oceana is the world’s largest ocean advocacy organization focused solely on restoring the resilience, diversity, and abundance of marine ecosystems to ensure that our oceans are a significant source of wild-caught fish that can help feed the world.
We achieve measurable change by conducting specific, science-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals. Our campaigns extend to countries that, combined, govern nearly one-third of the world’s wild-caught fish, including Belize, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Peru, the Philippines, the United States, Canada and the 27 countries in the European Union.
Who is right for the job?
The Communications Specialist is an individual who works from our office in Belmopan, Belize and supports the implementation of Oceana in Belize’s marketing, communications, media relations and social media efforts to increase stakeholder engagement, strengthen the Oceana brand and expand overall visibility of Oceana’s work.
She/he/they works closely with internal staff, key leadership, external partners, consultants, and interns to establish materials and communications in support of Oceana’s campaign goals and policy agenda.
Your contribution to the team includes:
- Advance Oceana’s objectives through engagement and constructive dialogue with stakeholders, the general public and Government.
- Support and implement public education campaigns to maintain and build the public’s and key stakeholders’ understanding of the issues and support a vocal participation in the decision-making process.
- Build and maintain the Oceana’s support base to strengthen its national credibility.
- Contribute, as directed, to the development of Oceana’s marketing and communications activities, marketing planning research and implementation.
- Administer marketing and communications programs and social media campaigns for a range of stakeholders and campaigns, assisting in the evaluation of performance and impact.
- Undertake any other duties necessary to this post.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a related field.
- At least 2 years’ work experience gained within the PR, marketing, fundraising, events promotion, or journalism trades.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining social media accounts, especially Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as well as experience with new media executions; knowledge and understanding of local and global digital landscape and trends.
- Experience with graphic design, ability to create designs for digital media purposes in open-source graphic design programs, such as Canva.
- Ability to integrate PR/communication initiatives with social media.
- Experience developing compelling content to generate response from audiences online.
- Experience in reporting on qualitative and quantitative analytics.
- Ability to take quality photographs and basic photo editing skills.
- Proven excellent communication skills, including public presentations; conducting media interviews; ability to prepare reports and PowerPoint presentations; excellent command of the English language.
- Knowledge about Belize’s marine issues and strong interest in the marine environment in general.
- A commitment to Oceana’s mission, goals, and values.
- Must have good planning and organizational skills and be able to organize education & outreach programs.
- Ability to work effectively as a leader/member of a team.
- Ability to interact well with people.
- Good professional appearance & demeanor.
- Ability to work independently/Self-motivated.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexible working hours (including weekends).
“Oceana values a diverse workforce and welcomes people different from each other in many ways, including characteristics such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Oceana considers all qualified candidates and seeks to recruit from a diverse candidate pool.”